Thursday, March 3, 2011

Passion Makes Art Worth Looking At

Somewhere at this very instant a dancer landed her first double pirouette. A small-town musician, struggling financially and emotionally, has composed a song that everyone on every street will be singing and listening to in a few weeks. An actress discovered how to allow a character to live through her body, voice, actions, and soul. All of these people are all related under art. These achievements are the beginnings of a long road that leads to the understanding of one’s inner artist.

My definition of an artist is someone who can lose himself or herself in the context, texture, or movement in an art, to the point where he or she feels and appears invulnerable and beautiful. An artist can captivate anyone, ranging from a YouTube viewer, to a reader, to someone sitting in the front row of a Broadway production.

Before artists reach their achievements, they have to discover themselves through training. I took a workshop at Hawaii Theatre for Youth. A slam poet, Bridget Grey, led the workshop. Bridget had opened with a poem introducing her nationalities and where she stands in life. Saying each verse, her body swayed from side to side while her hands made gestures to strengthen the meaning of each word she said. Bridget Grey wasn’t saying her poem. She was living it.

The first task was to create a word bank. Bridget gave me a list of words. I was to define each one, connecting a life experience to each word. If I were to ever have a writer’s block, I could use this word bank to draw inspiration from. I had listed the most vivid memories that I remembered on the spot. Some were memories that I wish I couldn’t remember, and some were memories I would enjoy replaying in my head.

Bridget Gray gave me fifteen minutes to write my poem. Of all the memories in my head, the most dreadful one kept replaying. I felt irritated and angered by this memory. I wanted to write a poem that was full of lively joy. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get it out of my head. I remember writing out the first word, and how good it felt. It seemed as if my thoughts and my left hand were working together to release the dreadful memory out of my life. My pen kept moving and writing as my thoughts were uncontrollably spilling.

Performing my poem on the Hawaii Theatre stage with the lights on me was quite an experience. The dreadful memory was something I have lived out before. Like how Bridget lived out her poem, I did too. My voice shot out far into all directions into the theatre. My body language performed a small dance that clicked every word into the right place. Passion is a strong feeling. In this case, passion was dementia to the memory.

I offered and gave up this memory to the audience. I lived this poem because of passion.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Isabelle! I really enjoyed your essay. You were very descriptive and I was captivated from beginning to end!

    This essay really screams you! I'm serious! Your voice is so strong. I really liked this part of your essay: "Performing my poem on the Hawaii Theatre stage with the lights on me was quite an experience. The dreadful memory was something I have lived out before. Like how Sasha lived out her poem, I did too. My voice shot out far into all directions into the theatre. My body language performed a small dance that clicked every word into the right place. Passion is a strong feeling. In this case, passion was dementia to the memory." Through this essay, I can totally see your passion for acting and performing.

    However, there's a little problem with your sentence fluency in the beginning. For example in your first paragraph: "A small-town musician, struggling financially and emotionally, has composed a song that in a few weeks, everyone on every street will be singing and listening to." I think it would have a better flow if you put "A small-town musician, struggling financially and emotionally, has composed a song that everyone on every street will be singing and listening to in a few weeks." I also think it would be nice if you embed at least on quote from your poem. Or even "the first word" you wrote in your poem. I think it would add more significance to your essay besides just telling it to your audience.

    Overall, I really really enjoyed your essay. It's very well done. Just polish it up a little and try to add more SF to it. (: Good luck on your revision!

    -Sharmaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. isabelle! (:

    I really liked your essay! it was good. (: I believe your voice was really strong. I felt that as I was reading it that you were actually with me, or I was actually there with you. Especially when you wrote, "My voice shot out far into all directions into the theatre. My body language performed a small dance that clicked every word into the right place. I agree with Sharmaine, that you should add a couple lines from your poem and put it into your essay. It will make it seem even more real. I also feel that at some parts, you tell more than you show. For example, when you put, "Performing my poem on the Hawaii Theatre stage with the lights on me was quite an experience." Instead, you could describe more about when you performed. Like instead of saying 'performing my poem...', you could actually describe that moment when you walked on the stage and etc.

    Other than that, this essay really matches you! (: good job and good luck on revisions.

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete