Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Coming of Age (rough draft)

The Moment I Realized



Military Brat: A term that is used for kids whose parents are in the Military Forces. Being a military brat means going through a lot of transitions and adapting to new environments. You tend to move around the country, usually more than five states. But, I’m not a military brat. I didn’t even move to another state in my life so far. It’s always been Hawaii.

The average person in Hawaii will move one to three times to a different location on the state. Therefore I am one of those average people. The first time I moved was when I was around seven months old, so that doesn’t really count. The biggest move my family and I ever made was when I was eleven years old. Prior to us moving, we had lived in a one-bedroom apartment for ten years of my life. My family and I didn’t have much because of the limited space. I still remember it to this day. When you first walk in, you’ll be in the living room. On the left side was a cream leather couch, a keyboard leaning against the west wall, and a box television further down. To the right was compact kitchen with a single sink, a stove, a glass table, and a system of shelves that contained our snacks. Around 30 steps down is a bedroom, and to its right was our bathroom. Five of us, my parents, my two sisters, and I dwelled in that cramped apartment for what seemed like forever.

As my sister’s and I got older, my oldest sister Jade moved to Las Vegas for college. I was around six years old at the time, and my little sister was 3 years old. My parents had always been saving up to buy a home for us. They wanted a place where we could roam around freely and have our privacy. They basically wanted the best for us. As I grew up, my family got into a lot of financial mishaps. My sister and I had very limited money privileges. Situations started to get worse. My whole family almost fell apart. That was one of the very moments I knew I was maturing. To be honest, I did not have much of a childhood after I turned 9 years old. I learned to be very quiet and polite. Everything that I have been through made me a stronger person. When my parents would get into arguments, I had to be strong for my sister and I. I could not let her see how much pain I was in. The moment that happened, I had learned that anything could happen to a family, even the unexpected.

This is when dance came along. My mom had enrolled my sister and I in dance classes when I had turned eleven years old. I hated the first day. But just like every normal mother, she forced me to stick with it. It didn’t even take me the first week to fall in love with it. This moment has taught me to give things and people a chance before I come to any conclusions. Dance has helped me get rid of my shy personality. It helped me express my feelings without words. It was my secret perfect getaway.

Fortunately, things got back on track. During my sixth grade, my family was able to find a home for my entire family, and (my friend) Czarina, along with her family. I know most kids in the United States get their own bedroom since they were three, but I got mine when I was eleven years old. I was extremely happy when I found that I was going to have my own room. I was mainly excited to customize it and give it a “me” factor.

I know a lot of people don’t get matured getting their own bedroom, but I sure did. Over the years, my bedroom had its danger moments. It got to the point where it was messy, but yet still controllable. My bedroom has taught me to treat others with respect, and they’ll do the same. In other words, if I keep my room nice and clean, then it will be a nice shelter to me.

4 comments:

  1. Heeeello Isabelle :)
    This is Czarina. Alright, so I have just read your essay and your vocabulary is exquisite! You also follow the rules of sentence fluency very well. This essay is almost ready to be published! But the only thing is... the COA (Coming of Age) essay is supposed to be about a specific event that occurred in your life that has made you "come of age". So, I can't really comment on your current essay. But I CAN give you some pointers for your final. (By the way, I know that you already know that you're supposed to do it on an event that occurred. But yeah... I'll just give you some pointers)
    -Like the introductions that we read from the sample essays in class, you should start it off with a descriptive sentence about your surroundings.
    -I know that you grew up as a "baby-sitter" for your sister and other cousins. Maybe you could focus your essay on how you had to take FULL responsibility of not only yourself but your family members. That would be a good topic for you! :D If you decide to continue on with my idea, you can talk about how you had to make sure that they didn't roam off into other people's homes, since we did live in an apartment. And you could talk about when Alaina was born, you had to take care of yet ANOTHER child while all the adults were at work. Oh and talk about how we all used to play games just so that we could keep them busy. Awww, i miss those days :) AAAANYWAY... i'm sure you can come up with other ideas. You don't have to follow through w/ my idea if you don't want to... just saying. Haha.
    -Again, you have demonstrated the 6 traits in your current essay. Very descriptive and easy to follow through. Now, I bet you could apply those 6 traits onto your new and improved coming of age essay ^__^

    -Czarina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, HI ISABELLLLE, again.
    So I see that you have RESTARTED your new essay already... well, disregard my last comment, then. Haha.
    OKay anyway, I see A WHOLE LOT of voice used in your essay. Your grammar is very good and I see that you have put a lot of thinking into this essay because you mention a lot of times that you "came of age". Although, there are a few problems. One is that you should only talk about ONE event. Maybe you could focus only on your (or our) transition into our new house. I think that is the strongest story out of all of the events that you mentioned. Also, I think that you could use a lot of "specifics" if you were to focus your essay on only that event. OFr example, you mentioned that there were times when your room was messy but still controllable. You can probably talk about "HOW" messy it was (specific detail) and "HOW" you managed to control the mess in your bedroom. You also said that you wanted to give your room a "me" factor. LOTS of specific detail can come out of that. Mention how you chose blue curtains for your room because its "you" and it helps you to feel serene. "Coming of Age" doesn't only mean to be responsible or mature. It also means to discover yourself. So the way your room makes you feel can affect your performance.
    Second problem: For this essay, we're supposed to speak as if we were narrating the time of the event. You shouldn't speak like it is the past. Speak as if you were still in the moment. For example: "I looked around my room and saw the baskets of clothes lying around and thought to myself "Hmm, I should really fold these now."" (I'm talking about folding clothes because that's one of the things you don't like doing the most, ahaha. Like me! Lol) Anyway, I hope you're final will be better. Wait! NO. I KNOW your final will be better. Haha. Good luck, Isabelllllle :)

    -Czarina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Isabelle! (:

    I agree with Czarina that there is a lot of voice in your essay. There were also no grammatical errors that I could find. I liked how you talked about the different ways you 'came of age'. But I think we were suppose to write about one, I'm not sure. If it is suppose to be only one way to show how we come of age, then it has to be specific. I also agree with Czarina, I think that this essay was suppose to be a narrative essay so add some dialogue and write as if you are still living in that moment. Anyway, really good rough draft essay! Good luck with your revision (if any) (:

    -Kristen Monico

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Isabelle,
    Wow...it sure helps when your critique partner knows you so well :)
    I agree with both of them that it needs to be about a specific event. That event should represent your step into adulthood. If that event is when you took on the care of your younger siblings, you can develop that incident. If it is when you got your own room and took responsibility for it, you can develop that incident.
    Whatever you pick, it needs to be "show, not tell." Right now, you explain a lot, so you want to move away from that and "tell the story" instead.
    Let me know if you have questions...
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete