Thursday, August 12, 2010

News Article

SB1070 Article Link

A new immigration law has been passed recently in the state of Arizona. Illegal immigrants have been secretly making their ways into the United States. They live among U.S. citizens as co-workers, fugitives, or people who seek a better life. However, this new law endangers their presence in our country. But could it offend actual american citizens? Arizona Police Officers now have the responsibility and regulation to question or arrest anyone they suspect is an illegal immigrant. If the american citizens of Arizona feel as if police officers are not carrying out this task, those police officers can be sued.

Because of this, police officers in Arizona will be pressured into suspecting anyone who may look or sound like an illegal immigrant. This law has made it illegal to NOT carry immigration papers. People who are not able to prove that they are American citizens, by showing the police officers their documents, will be arrested. What happens to the people who are actual American citizens, when suspected. It could strike as embarrassing or offensive to the people. Protecting the people or a form of racism?

My Proposition:
I am against this new immigration law. Although it has great potential for discovering and deporting illegal immigrants, I personally think this is a form of racism. It would not be fair for the people, nor the police officers. People can be easily offended if confronted by a police officer because of being suspected. Police officers can be sued for not carrying out this task. I am sure that there are police officers who oppose this new law. This does not bring justice to the American citizens.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Isabelle-elle-elle :)
    It's Czarina-na-na and I'm going to have to say that i COMPLETELY agree on your proposition of this whole situation. Lets say that a police officer is staring at me and thinking in his mind "Oh, she doesnt look American", and the police officer randomly comes up to me and asks if I was "legal" and asks to see my documents, I would be completely offended because one must not judge on a person's appearance. That's just wrong!!! Sorry, I'm so AGAINST this immigration law that I'm getting all fired up, haha. I'm not sure about this, but I think that a proposition should just be like a statement about whether you agree or disagree. I dont think you have to state the reasons why you think it's wrong. But I'm not too sure, I'll ask Mrs. Sueoka. But good job :)

    -Zee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isabelle,
    I am too against the new law and couldn't have agreed with you more. Not only is it another form of racism but also harassment. People being asked out of nowhere to show that they are citizens of America is really such a bother. Instead of thinking of deporting all illegal immigrants because of they have already gained here in America they should think back on how all this illgal immigrants sneaked into this country and improve those areas such as Security. Instead of pressuring policemen into doing things they dont believe in they should just train them better in order for them to make sure no immigrant steps foot on American soil until they a legally obliged to.
    But anyways, i really like your summary it very infromative. You did a better summary than me(we have the same topic):)
    Bye bye... off to czarina's blog...
    Au REVIOUR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Isabelle,
    Good issue...need better proposition. Should be a single sentence...
    assessment score: 2
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete